Wednesday, July 15, 2009

35 and counting

Today was my birthday. I didn't make a big to do about it -- it was just another peaceful, easy-going house-mama sort of day. My dear friend K accompanied me on a walk to the Arleta Library where we enjoyed lunch on the back patio. X was a really great conversationalist, hanging out, smiling -just staying cool (as opposed to melting down). We returned from lunch and spent the afternoon lounging under the new ceiling fans in the sunny living room, chatting about this & that. It was one of those long, meandering conversations - the sort that twist and turn down all the random passages and byways of our minds. I am never so at my ease as when I am with K.

M returned from work in the evening and brought with him a beautiful, blue hydrangea for my garden. Tucked among the blossoms was a sweet card that brought tears to my eyes. I have so few tokens of his love for me (we are not really the overly romantic type), it is nice to have a little something every now and again. We all piled in the car and hit Pastini Pasteria for dinner (I know, I know -absolutely lacking in creativity, but we wanted Italian and somewhere kid-friendly and we haven't gotten our bearings yet on safe places to bring the babe). X was a sweetie during dinner as he sat on M's lap and grabbed stuff off his plate. We let him stuff his fingers into the birthday tiramisu so he could feel how squelchy and squishy it was.

After dinner, we wandered up Mt. Tabor, found a nice spot in the shade, laid down a blanket and watched the sun slide down behind the western horizon. It was a near perfect day.

No comments: