Thursday, April 3, 2008

insomnia

I spent the entire day yesterday propping my sleepy eyelids up with toothpicks, dozing off in traffic and yawning in rapid-fire succession, and yet when I finally hit the the pillow at 11pm I laid there wide awake until 2 in the morning. I could not seem to slow down the business of my mind. And those thrilling topics of consideration during my sleepless night were as follows:
  • Potential future pet peeve of the month entries
  • Simone de Beauvior
  • Money (gaining it and losing it)
  • Immortality
  • How to get out of going to work in the morning
  • How much I need the money and therefore must go to work in the morning
  • Taxes
  • My childhood photographs
  • How I should be sleeping instead lying awake thinking
I finally took a cyclobenzaprine which did the trick nicely. Of course, now I am sitting here groggy-headed and cotton-eyed wishing I didn't have to go to work. The sun is brightly shining and for the first time in a long time the weather reports a warm day ahead for restless and eager Portlanders. If I knew that we had seen the last of frost for the year, I would stay at home and putter about the garden, but my confidence of that is low as this has proved among the chilliest springs I have yet lived here in the Northwest. And so I resign myself to the fate of slogging off to work. It is sad to waste such a fabulous day indoors.

No comments: