Friday, July 29, 2011

testing, testing

"You're too late for the test!" blurted out the sonographer. "This baby is 14 weeks & two days old based on crown to rump measurements."

"That's impossible. Maybe it's just a really big baby? The very oldest this child could possibly be is 13 weeks and two days. I am confident of this." I retorted. I was surprised -I'd been operating on the assumption we were still in the 12th week. It was a pleasant surprise: like finding a $20 bill in your pocket that you didn't know what there. Or like going around for weeks telling everyone you were 38 only to do the math & realize you are really only 37. I am one week closer then I thought!

But it was unpleasant as well: there was no way we missed the window for the First Trimester Screen. We had to get that test. She clicked around some more while our baby squirmed on the screen. "There. I got a measurement that puts us in the range. I'll refer it to the doctor, but I think it's going to be OK." Whew. I was not about to walk into amniocentesis without first doing my best to ascertain whether it was in fact needed. I checked & double-checked my dates. I knew I was in the right range.

Meanwhile, M is at my back whispering: "You really know the possible conception dates? -You wrote down the dates we had sex?!?"

"Yes," I seethed back at him, laughing to myself. "We were trying to get pregnant. I write everything down. Someone has to."

Thankfully, the "nuchal fold" measured in the proper range for dates, so we were spared worry on that account. We weren't so lucky with X & were given reason to worry that he had a heart defect for months. Needless worry, I should note.

I asked her to check the baby's "genital ridge" but she refused. She said she'd gotten it wrong so many times she did not want to go there. We knew with X by this point that he had quite a "prominent" ridge & it was sort of a nice early warning system. But I can wait.

The doctor came in after all the measuring & clicking was over. She confirmed that the baby was measuring right on target & seemed willing to take my word for it that s/he was not a day over 13 weeks & 2 days. This leaves us a due date of the 1st of February, which has a nice ring to it.

In profile, this babe looks a lot like X did -pert little nose, sweet puckered lips. It would not stop moving. At all. I began to worry it was going to be a high energy little monster, although I know it's too early to be making such judgments. At one point, s/he spent a good deal of time trying to stuff his/her hand into his/her mouth. "I do believe that baby is trying to suck it's thumb!" the doctor cried. "I don't think I've seen that in a baby so young before!" I am hoping this bodes well for nursing.

It was our first glimpse of our new baby. I confess it was not half as thrilling as it was the first time, when this was all a brand new world. I am not nearly as anxious this time around, so perhaps losing that jittery, worrisome edge makes everything a little more sober, a little blasé. I dread my son or daughter reading this. It was exciting indeed & I was glad to note that s/he is growing so well & seeming perfectly normal, but it did not bring a sob to my throat like it did with X. Even as I write these words I hate that I am comparing them already. But I am afraid it can't be helped...

1 comment:

wm said...

Don't worry, you have plenty of time to delete your blog posts before your kiddos can read them. Now it's an outlet for you, and a communion with other mommas.