Wednesday, August 13, 2008
endless complaints
I realize that I risk turning this blog into little but a litany of gripes, but this first trimester thing is really getting on my nerves. Yesterday, from out of the blue, my hips and lower back starting aching like never before. I cannot seem to walk without a silly limp, laying on my side is excruciating (laying on my back or stomach is even worse), and sitting upright is just as painful. I have taken Tylenol, but find myself craving something more along the lines of Vicodin (prohibited, of course). It feels as though my back has gone out, or else some brutal form of sciatica (google searching one's maladies is not recommended). My understanding is that the ligaments loosen in pregnancy, which proves a good thing when it comes time to squeeze the sucker out. My hope is that things are just stretching out to make room for my new guest and that the pain will subside in time. I am thankful that I am scheduled for my first appointment with the midwife in two days time so I can discuss these myriad issues. Hopefully some relief will be forthcoming. Meanwhile, poor M gets to listen to me whine and wonder what the hell we've gotten ourselves into...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Lainey, I highly recommend a book by Cecile Rost (that's o with an umlaut.) She's a Dutch physical therapist who had a lot of so-called "pelvic instability" pain and worked out a number of stretches and exercises to deal with it, and they have a really good (and rigorously scientifically verified) track record.
It's not "just the way it is" in pregnancy -- it's something you can & should do something about, right away: it usually has to do with the pelvic bones getting torqued, and it's not that hard to un-torque them.
Post a Comment