Thursday, November 19, 2009

tripping out

There are a few rules everyone should follow when considering using psychedelic drugs (not like I know from real life, just from reading a lot of books on the subject):

Don't drink alcohol. It will totally mess things up.

Don't do it when you're depressed, in a weird mood, or have to take a test or go to a demanding job the following morning.

Don't do it with people you don't 100% trust. Strangers will totally freak you out (so I hear).

The reason I mention it --I have been thinking lately that having a second child can be considered in somewhat similar terms --i.e. you need to be really careful how you time it, otherwise things could go terribly wrong & the whole ordeal could turn into a super shitty trip.

This is why I have informed M that we need to do #2 before the 2012 elections come around. The thought of enduring pregnancy, birth & those tender, scary, early infancy months during a (god-forbid-it!) Palin/Beck administration just sounds positively nauseating. It would be impossible to enjoy my trip if I had to worry about the fate of the planet at every turn. Not that I don't do a good deal of worrying as is, but at least I feel like someone with common sense & a decent moral compass is at the helm. All that hope is still sticking around, at least for me if not for the scads of idiotic so-called Independents who shift with the wind.

So, if we're going to avoid going for it during a year of political upheaval (and before the possibility of new & god-awful leadership) this means we'd need to get started sometime around a year from now. Gasp. Really?

No comments: