Thursday, December 17, 2009

after the fall

Judging from this photo, it doesn't seem all that far from the bed to the floor, does it? -oh, but to hear X cry when he hit the floor it must have felt like a mile. Yes, he fell off the bed for the first time & it was terrible.

We just removed the frame a few days ago to get the whole thing a little closer to the ground, but we'd left the box spring for lack of a place to store it in the meantime (housing it in the garage is not an option, lest we find it inhabited my mice a year from now when we finally want it back). It didn't seem that hazardous, and I guess I underestimated my baby's determination to explore his environment at all costs.

He was napping in the center of the queen-sized bed. I was attuned to his monitor, as usual, listening for signs of him stirring. I heard him make a little peep, but did not hurry in as quickly as I should have --I just had never known him to wake suddenly & high-tail it for the exit. He usually just laid there, waiting patiently for my attention. Oh, but I was wrong this time! I entered the room just in time to watch him tumble face-first off the bed onto the floor. I gasped: "oh no! -Xavier!" just as his little body crumpled to the ground. I scooped him up in haste & he began to wail uncontrollably in my arms, tears streaming down his scared little face. I hugged him to me tightly & apologized profusely for letting such an awful thing happen to him. I realized as I clutched him to my chest that I should probably look him over & check him for signs of serious injury, but I didn't want to cease comforting him. I wanted him to know how very sorry I was.

He cried hard for several eternal minutes, but it was probably over quicker than it seemed to me at the time. And once it was over, it was over -like it never happened. We laid down together on the bed & he smiled up at me, looked curiously around the room, poked his fingers in my mouth while I pretended to eat them -all completely X-ish behaviors. I didn't see any knots or welts or abrasions. He was perfectly himself.

I, however, was shaken to the core. And as I laid there with him after the fall, as he babbled & smiled long after his tears had dried, I shed a few myself -- for all the fright of that moment, but also for all the sadness of the many falls & bruises & broken hearts to come. Oh, I am certain he will bounce back freely enough from each & every one, but will I?

2 comments:

worldmomma said...

Poor thing. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to stop for a moment to check for injuries, yet terrified at what you might find.

Even if you get the bed down to a safe level, I think you are going to be in for a rough time once he gets mobile (ie. with him not staying in bed). I'm very grateful for the enclosure of a crib. It often takes him more than 20 minutes to settle down into sleep. If he was able to move around, it would never happen.

Paige Lomas said...

Keep up the moving and rearranging and all that stuff you have to do when you have a child on the move...it is exhausting. It does get better and easier...just in a diferent way. Then...it get harder in other ways. Good-bye newborn/infant/baby and hello toddler/childhood.