...but when that excited, eager baby comes around with his arms flailing madly, hopping on his knees & grabbing for her tail, she becomes a crazy wild beast. Today was the worst altercation yet. She actually gouged him with her claws in two places, on his cheek & at his temple (the latter I didn't see at first, until after nap when I noticed the blood all caked & matted in his beautiful hair). He let out a piercing wail when her claws sunk in. I ran to him & picked him up & he writhed in my arms, kicking his feet frantically as if to shake off the pain. A few moments of nursing & for him it was as though it never happened. But I am shy of her now & feel anxious whenever she comes near him. I know pets are good for kids in myriad ways. They teach them how to gently nurture another living being. They provide comfort & warm cuddles. The ever-present fur & dander around the home helps to boost young immune systems and decrease the likelihood that childhood allergies will develop. But sometimes I question whether I can handle living with an animal in 900 square feet of space. When she isn't puncturing my son's flesh with her claws, she is attempting to wake him up from his naps by stuffing her snout in his face, meowing to go outside at all hours of the day & night (or scratching at the door when she wants back in!) and generally being a massive nuisance. But at the same time, I want all those wonderful benefits for him. And I fear that he is already somewhat attached to her. Because despite how many times she attacks him, he always goes back for more.
2 comments:
Sounds like a case of jealousy! Tough situation. Is declawing an option? Putting a rail or something around the bed, or shutting the bedroom door?
Declawing is out. I am just not okay with the idea of doing that to an animal -especially one that spends much of her day out of doors. I wish I could just shut the door, but this old house is off-kilter and the door sags & pulling it to would wake the baby...I think we will have to leave her in the mudroom for now. Naps are one thing, but her attack mode is another altogether...poor Xavier. He loves her so much!
Post a Comment