Friday, July 23, 2010

wheels


This is X's new all-time, hands-down favorite activity. Every day he runs to the front door, opens it (yes, we keep the gate locked on the front porch at all times), & whines: "car! wheel! car! wheel!" One of us usually accommodates him, grabbing a coffee on the way out. He crawls into the driver's seat of my car first, tests the gear shift, spins the wheel a little, pops the tape in & out of the tape deck (I drive a '91 Geo, folks), until he tires of it & wants out. And then it's on to Papa's car, or the "black car" (our beat up, little Toyota truck) for another turn at the wheel. And he runs from car to car until he's exhausted his desire to "drive" (usually takes less than an hour).

I have a friend who said her kid went through a car phase until they finally "had to cut him off." I guess it was getting annoying for them to have to sit in the car all morning, noon & night. I am far from being annoyed yet -it's really nothing to me to hang out there, seeing as I have to watch him anyhow -I may as well watch him in the car while he's having the time of his life. Although when the weather warms it is sure to be more of a bitch. There is no way I am sitting in a hot car all afternoon getting hyperthermia so X can pretend to drive.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

wm said...

Sounds like X and R share interests! I let this be a "papa" activity though - something he gets to do with dad, but not me. Once, when we were going somewhere in the car, he cried because he couldn't drive.