I putzed in the garden after work today, trudging around under heavy cloud cover while a drizzle threatened and a chill breeze kept me bundled up in a thick sweatshirt. It felt just like autumn in the garden. The fierce winds of this afternoon have launched piles of scrubby brown bits from the boughs of the enormous conifer in my neighbors yard and I fear my garden got a big dose of acidity it likely doesn't need. The beans are terribly ill -they do not like temperatures this cool. The peppers and eggplants that I put out weeks ago are shriveled and slug-bitten and in desperate need of a little sunshine. And I am too, I'm afraid.
I am trying to look on the bright side of all this gray. A cloudy weekend means I can get much accomplished out of doors and I won't run the risk of a brutal sunburn. Plus, M is always far more amenable to helping me out if he isn't roasting hot in the summer sun. And the good news is that despite a little slug damage and the dreadful chill, everything is popping up like mad. My motherwort has flopped and fallen across the path from the weight of its leonine flower heads and the feverfew have turned miraculously into giant, lacy, arching bushes. Calendula, borage and nasturtium are coming up everywhere, some in unwelcome places, but thankfully they are easy to pull. The beans struggle a bit, but perhaps I can reseed where they have failed. Same for the cucumbers.
I think tonight I will hunker down with a good brew and try to polish off East of Eden...
1 comment:
I know, weird weather: cold and windy, like early March or something.
Hey, apropos the knees -- may I suggest Clair Davies' Trigger Point Workbook? I thought my knees were shot -- blew one of them out, much like you, in my early twenties, hiking in the Olympic Mountains, and for the next twenty-five years I'd start limping if I did much, and get excruciating pain if I didn't heed the hint and rest it. (And of course, once I started limping the other would get overstressed and start to go.) Now I have *no* knee trouble at all. It was all trigger-points, all perfectly self-treatable with massage, and nobody ever told me about it. It may not be the same with yours, but then again it might be. It's really worth checking out. It takes a few minutes a couple times a day, for a couple weeks. & The worst that can happen is that it won't work. If you're thinking of a child, you're going to need those knees, believe me :->
Post a Comment