Wednesday, June 18, 2008

experiments in lacto-fermentation

Last Sunday, on a whim, we decided to make a batch of sauerkraut. It started with the yogurt water -that watery liquid known as whey that is leftover after whole milk yogurt is strained overnight to make yogurt cheese. In accordance with our recession plan and our on-going efforts to avoid waste whenever possible, I got to wondering what might be made from whey. Throw in a simple Google search, a leftover partial head of cabbage, and a bike ride to Freddie's for some caraway seed and we had the makings of a simple experiment in lacto-fermentation.

It took all of 12 minutes to shred the cabbage, toss in the caraway and sea salt, drizzle in a few tablespoons of whey and then beat the whole mess to a leaky pulp with a bottle of olive oil (lacking a wooden mallet, I improvised). I mashed the bulk into a quart jar and settled it onto a dark shelf to molder for three days as the recipe indicated.

I'll admit that I felt slightly apprehensive. I am not the sort who will knowingly and willingly eat old, rotting, back-of-the-fridge food (M is far braver than I), and food that is left out for days on end is typically out of the question. But we've brewed fantastic beer before, and I've canned my share of summer vegetables and have luckily avoided botulism to date. Cognitively, I know that this is just another sort of fermentation and it will likely turn out OK, but my stomach turns nonetheless.

The three days have just now passed and as I skeptically unscrewed the lid I was surprised when I was greeted by the salty, familiar aroma of sauerkraut. The whole mixture bubbled and M declared, "Ah look! -it's fermenting!" We both tasted tiny forkfuls and smiled to find the flavor delightful (although I can't say for sure I know what botulism tastes like). I closed up the boiling, fizzing mess and stuck it in the fridge to await the next opportunity for Boca brats on the grill. And I think I know what to do with the whey from now on.