Thursday, May 29, 2008

dream of car free portland

The new I-5 Columbia River bridge proposal has got everyone in Portland talking about peak oil and the demise of car culture. The proposal involves a wad of public funds ($4.2 billion dollars) a 12 lane toll-bridge, light rail connections and several new interchanges. As anyone who's spent an hour or more waiting to cross from one state to the other can attest, the situation is gnarly and a solution is definitely in order. But must the solution involve more freeway lanes? Won't more lanes eventually mean more cars and thus more congestion a short while down the road? In other words, if we build it, they will come.

It works the same way with storage space. I recall when I first moved into a tiny studio apartment of my very own sometime in the middle 1990s, I had absolutely nothing excepting a card table, a mattress and a few books and sentimental objects. Over time, my possessions amassed in direct proportion to the size of the space over which I was master, each apartment growing in size and the collection of belongings expanding equally to fill the void. Now I own a small 3-bedroom bungalow with an unfinished crawl space and a garage, and all possible nooks and crannies are packed to the gills with one thing or another, screen printing supplies and art glass, garden tools and bins full of old journals and notebooks, an unused freezer, a few old amps.

While it seems little more then a grand tangent, I have a point: Building wider roads and highways to allow for more traffic seems to be simply a stopgap solution, a makeshift bridge to a tomorrow that does not look any different from today. Wider roads mean more cars, much like a bigger apartment for me always meant more junk. But tomorrow, after the zillion dollar bridge, we will still need a solution, a wider highway, more bridges, smaller cars...something? Shouldn't we rather plan for a future when cars are a thing of the past? -when oil is in even shorter supply and/or regular joes can no longer afford to purchase what is left? -when straddling that bicycle each morning at 6:30 for the soggy, rainy-day commute isn't just something hard-core bike people do?

The bridge opponents argue that we should settle simply for a pedestrian and cycling bridge as well a light rail track spanning the river. And I smile sagely when I hear that the city government of Portland has appointed a Peak Oil Task Force dedicated to the study of alternatives for the city's future (http://www.portlandonline.com/osd/index.cfm?c=42894). And truly, a giant bridge project seems incongruous with our city's stated goals of planning for a future without oil.

I for one like to imagine Portland on the edge of the future, with one foot already in it. It would be nice to live and breathe in the one town in the country that got it before it was too late, who were planning for it, and thinking ahead, and who weren't caught with their collective pants down wondering what the hell happened.

3 comments:

Dale said...

Yeah, I can't make up my mind about the new bridge. Except in one regard: the people who want it are mostly Clark County people who are working in Portland but living in Washington (so as to pay no Oregon income tax.) If they want a bridge, they can bloody well pay for it. I don't see why we should split the cost fifty-fifty with Washington State, to solve a problem we didn't create, and subsidize a lot of oil-hog freeloaders. Living far from where you work costs resources, and it's time people's noses were rubbed in that fact.

Lainey Wright said...

well, it definitely isn't pretty for the truckers and the folks that genuinely need to come across to bring goods to the southern bit of the west coast -and however idealistic and dreamy we want to be, we are still living in an insanely interconnected web in which the staples of our every-day are trucked around the country!...But yes, from what I understand, you are quite correct- it isn't so much the interstate trucking traffic clogging the corridor but those damned car commuters sitting 1 person to a car sneaking out of Washington for the greener grass in Portland...a light rail/cycle system seems to be just the fix they need!

Their loving mama said...

i'm thinking you should send this for publication.