
Imagine my shock today when I returned from work to find all my self-sown Calendula grown from several inches to over a foot in the course of one afternoon. The plants are exploding with blossoms -they stretch their lanky, sprawling bodies all over the lamb's ear and across the fronds of hyssop and lift their sunny faces to the sky. It was a maddeningly hot afternoon, and tomorrow promises to be even hotter -upwards of 97 degrees from some reports. I don't want to delve too deeply into the utter freakishness of such lofty temperatures in mid-May, but I can't help but be a bit alarmed. To think that there are some who disbelieve in global warming?
But global politics and climate change aside, the most annoying microcosmic thing about it all is that up until only moments ago it was still chill and damp in Portland. And so I have held off these last few weeks from moving all my wiry, tangled tomato vines from the back room where they have been since early March out into the raw, risky bluster of the garden. And now, here I am looking at 97 degrees tomorrow, meaning a potential 110 degrees in my poorly ventilated back room where the tomatoes languish at nearly 4 feet tall. *Sigh*
I plan to stay home from work tomorrow (I have a doctor's appointment that I dare not miss...), so I am hoping to find time to pot things out and rig up some sort of shade system to get them through the brutal afternoon. And I am hoping that the weekend proves milder so I can get some real work done.
No comments:
Post a Comment