Friday, July 4, 2008

announcement

This afternoon, M's father and his wife are coming over for a cook-out and we plan to break the big news to them soon after they arrive. We held off letting them in on the secret since they were the only family we could actually tell in person, seeing as the rest of our respective clans live far from Portland. Today is the first opportunity we will have had to make our announcement and we are both on pins and needles with excitement.

My friend C suggested a great surprise plan, and we are thinking we might try to steal her idea. According to the plan, I will grab the camera and suggest that everyone round up for a 4th of July, garden-party photograph. Just before the shutter closes, M is going to yell "Everyone say, 'We're having a baby!'" and then I snap off a few good ones of their initial expressions upon hearing the news (note to self: remember to use the sports setting and hold the shutter). My only fear is that they will be nonchalant and blase about it, but M said it would be just as fun to capture that expression as it would be to capture elation and joy. And he's right: it would be mighty funny to catch a few "ho-hums," but I highly doubt that's what we'll get. In any case, we'll see how it goes...

Now, I've got some cleaning to do before they arrive...

No comments: