I don't think I am ever going to get used to napping. It just feels wrong to me in so many ways. And by wrong I mean it feels nearly on the level with sinful, wasteful, lazy and degenerate. I know it is just my good German Midwestern work ethic rearing its ugly head, but I cannot help but feel guilty. But guilt or no guilt, I cannot seem to help myself.
Each afternoon this week, upon arriving home from work, I have promptly stripped to my skivvies, hopped into bed and passed out in a matter of minutes. I wake from each nap around 6pm, groggy-eyed and heavy-headed, the day nearly faded and all my industrious ambitions out the window. And just try getting a good, hard jog in at 6:30pm fresh from a nap! -Ha! I am lucky if I can drag myself to the dinner table, much less drag myself for 10 laps around the track at the park.
So today, in an effort to still carve some meaning out my evening, I skipped out of work on the early side and got the afternoon nap routine over with before 5pm. My head is still heavy and I hardly feel like running, but hopefully I can pull myself together and make something of my afternoon.
3 comments:
Oh, dear Lainey, sleep, sleep while you can, and treasure it as your dearest, best spent time!
I figured that was the cause of the delay in posting. Though it doesn't assuage my disappointment when I check and find no update!:)
Yes, everyone used to tell me too to enjoy it while I could. Like you, I prefered to be active. But I had to give in to a one hour lunchtime nap and a bedtime of somewhere between 6:30 and 8. Can't say I appreciated it though.
Looking back, I wish I did enjoy it more. Because you think you're not going to sleep after the child is born. But really, the sleep deprivation comes earlier, in the third trimester, when the baby is banging around all night inside of you (talk about weird!).
Thanks for the advice, dear friends. I know you're right. Unfortunately, I can't ignore the protestant german work ethic any more than I can the nose on my face:)
And I am sure at some point I too will look back in wonder at how flip I could have been about sleep, wonderful sleep...but in the meantime I am mourning the loss of productivity and beating myself up about all the stuff I am not getting done...
Post a Comment