ASIDE: Since I am offering up excuses, I might add to the pile the fact that my laptop has been on the fritz of late and it has made settling in for a long spell with thesaurus on hand a bit of a drag. The computer still works, but only for upwards of a hour (all the while the fan whirs insanely) at which point it overheats and spontaneously pops off -poof. Since this became an issue I have lost a great deal of work by way of blog posts, emails, etc. and in frustration I tucked the bugger under the sofa until funds can be had for the purchase of another. But I dragged it out today and risk heavy losses out of pure guilt feeling for being so absent these last weeks (I am reminding myself to hit "save" after every comma and period).
Last weekend M and I became extremely industrious. Owing to the inventive Swedish minds at Ikea, we were able to squash two rooms worth of miscellaneous crap into one room and thereby freed up an entire extra room in our teeny 3-bedroom house. Unbelievable. Our old junked out office is now a neat, nearly empty library/someday-nursery and our front guest/chill room in now an orderly office/guest room. And there is no TV in sight. We congratulated each other on what grown-ups we've become.
I realized that I've been anxious about where I'm going to stash the kid when he/she gets here. I've wanted to carve out a neat, defined space, both mentally and physically, in which to house the idea and the fact of another human. It's usually referred to as the "nesting instinct," and I guess mine came kind of early, because almost everyone I talk to acts like I am jumping the gun. I suppose they're referring to the fact that miscarriage is still an off-chance. I am hoping that at 8-weeks my odds are dropping daily. And the fact that I am sick as a dog bodes well, if you believe the old wives and their tales. I tell myself I come from hardy German baby-bearing stock and that kind of thing just doesn't happen to us North Dakota farm folk. But I suppose it could. In any case, organization is good, even if the new library/nursery doesn't fill up with pink or blue shit within the next year. But I am crossing my fingers that it does.
(And may I add that I think it is just fantastic to imagine blurry baby eyes gazing up from a bundle of blankets to take in shelves cluttered with a thousand classic novels. I wish I grew up in a library).
2 comments:
I think it will be a wonderful view for little Cooper.
LIttle River has been living in the room that is effectively our closet (old houses around here don't have much in the way of closets - our bedroom has none). I didn't think it mattered. He has love and happiness, who cares about decoration.
But I have to admit I was pretty psyched yesterday when we put together the farm-animal-themed crib bedding set we inherited yesterday (includes quilt, window valances, diaper stacker, ruffle, etc. all in cute matching patterns). Mark reminds me that fancy decor is only for the parents. The kids don't appreciate it. However, I'm glad that now, when he's cognizant of his surroundings, he has something nice to look at.
Yes, 8 weeks is early to nest in my experience. I think it's pretty impressive to do anything productive besides get through the work day. But perhaps it's your Scandanavian work and preparation ethic asserting itself! I just wonder what you are going to do in the third trimester when nesting usually sets in. Perhaps you can be the odd one out then and actually relax!:)
I think it will be a wonderful view for little Wright.
LIttle River has been living in the room that is effectively our closet (old houses around here don't have much in the way of closets - our bedroom has none). I didn't think it mattered. He has love and happiness, who cares about decoration.
But I have to admit I was pretty psyched yesterday when we put together the farm-animal-themed crib bedding set we inherited yesterday (includes quilt, window valances, diaper stacker, ruffle, etc. all in cute matching patterns). Mark reminds me that fancy decor is only for the parents. The kids don't appreciate it. However, I'm glad that now, when he's cognizant of his surroundings, he has something nice to look at.
Yes, 8 weeks is early to nest in my experience. I think it's pretty impressive to do anything productive besides get through the work day. But perhaps it's your Scandanavian work and preparation ethic asserting itself! I just wonder what you are going to do in the third trimester when nesting usually sets in. Perhaps you can be the odd one out then and actually relax!:)
Post a Comment